GALLERY: Six treated at scene as Wisbech plant evacuated after chemical spill
- Credit: Archant
SIX people were treated by paramedics after a chemical spill at a Wisbech packaging plant today.
Fire crews were called at 11.55am after about 20 litres of solvent and an unknown quantity of water-based inks leaked from a 200-litre drum inside Paragon Labels, Cromwell Road, Wisbech.
The building has been evacuated and a 100-metre cordon set up.
Two fire crews from Wisbech, one from St Neots and the fire service’s hazardous materials crew from St Neots, as well as police and ambulance services, are at the scene.
A fire service spokesman said: “We received reports of a smoking drum container containing chemicals and informed the caller to evacuate building, which they did.
You may also want to watch:
“About 20 litres of solvent and an unknown quantity of water based inks were within a drum which has been taken outside the building.
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are using thermal imaging cameras to monitor the temperature of the drums.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
“Fire officers at the scene are working with experts and management at the site to decide the best way to neutralise and dispose of the chemicals.”
“There is no threat to public safety at this time.”
Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust, said six people are being treated by ambulance crews and the trust’s hazardous area response team after they became unwell.
he said: “All six casualties are being treated for breathing problems after it is believed they inhaled vapours escaping from a drum.
“Following further assessments, all six will not be taken to hospital.”