GALLERY: St George comes to March on ‘pilgrimage’ of town businesses for shop window competition
- Credit: Archant
St George visited March town centre yesterday - St George’s Day - on a ‘pilgrimage’ of businesses as they put the finishing touches to their patriotic window displays.
Thousands of people will gather in March town centre on Sunday for the St George’s Fayre, with a wide range of activities planned.
But first, staff at town centre shops and businesses put their artistic talents to the test by decorating their windows with red and white ware for the annual shop window competition.
Up for grabs is the Cambs Times Challenge Trophy - and the winner will be announced after Sunday’s fayre.
St George was accompanied on his ‘pilgrimage’ by Carol Richardson, of High Street pub Georges.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “He was commissioned to visit March by March Chamber of Commerce with the aim of assisting businesses with final touches and window dressing for Sunday’s St George’s Fayre, when all the ‘fayre’ folk in March come out to celebrate, eat, drink, sing and play in celebration of the day that carries his name.”
Shop staff and customers also took the chance to have their photo taken with St George.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 7 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 8 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 9 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'