GALLERY: Sunshine greets the traditional parade in another successful Wisbech Rose Fair
THE flowers inside St Peter’s, Wisbech, embraced the theme Hope and Glory- a fitting tribute to the Olympic flavour that dominated this year’s Rose Festival.
Fortuitously the rain that put paid to some of the region’s other traditional festivities last week left Wisbech unaffected – Saturday’s finale and brace of parades were every bit as spectacular as previous years and took part in glorious sunshine.
The air was slightly chillier than normal for July but the enthusiasm of those aboard the 20 or so floats and the cheering of huge swathes of onlookers throughout the parade route made it a day to remember.
Once again small and large transport fleets turned themselves inside out, upside down to produce an army of pristine wagons for local organisations to decorate. Even the Rosmini Centre, fearful of not taking part after their planned for lorry was impounded mysteriously by authorities in Luxemburg, managed to join in thanks to a late donated tractor and trailer.
Wisbech St Mary School won the best in parade float but in truth all deserved an award – onlookers clapped and cheered throughout the traditional parade as it wended its way through the town.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere a feast of charitable stalls did stunning business in the grounds of St Peter’s and everywhere you looked in town there was a buzz as visitors streamed into the Fenland Wisbech Museum, Wisbech Castle, Peckover House and many other attractions open for business.
Photographer Steve Williams was there to capture some of the day’s highlights.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend