GALLERY: This year’s 15th March Summer Festival just two days away
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people are expected to attend the 15th March Summer Festival, which kicks off on Friday.
The event, which has become one of the highlights of the town’s calendar, takes place in West End Park from June 6-8.
Headlining on the Saturday night will be Benwick-based Elvis tribute singer Gary Jay, who will be supported by one of the best Elvis backing bands in the UK.
Friday evening will see a showcase of younger bands, co-ordinated by Chris Revett of CamBlast Promotions.
March Lions Gala takes place on Saturday and will be officially opened by Councillor Kit Owen, the new Mayor of March, Yvonne Eatock of March Lions, and Patsy Brewin of the March Summer Festival Committee.
You may also want to watch:
There will be two parades, the popular carnival parade and a classic vehicle parade featuring numerous historic cars and motorcycles.
As well as music and dancing, Picnic in the Park will include storytelling with Peter Optical, circus skills workshops with clown Adrian Ley and the colouring competition organised by Penny Hicks.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
On Sunday night, the festival will get a fitting finale when the Alan Norris Big Band takes to the stage.
Free souvenir programmes for the festival are available from the town hall, library, George Campbell Leisure Centre and many town centre shops.
Programme of Events
MC for the weekend is John Whitehead.
Rock in the Park
7.05pm There are Ghosts.
7.45pm Death Radio.
9.10pm Dirty Kirst.
Guest appearances between sets by Rob Paling.
March Lions Gala
From 8pm Lions Gala charity stalls and traders set up.
noon Classic Vehicle Parade leaves City Road Car Park.
12.30pm March Carnival Parade leaves City Road Car Park
1.45pm Grand Opening of Gala and presentations of trophies for parade.
2pm Fancy Dress Competition.
2.15pm. Lisa Dickinson’s Dance Mania.
2.50pm Tom Harlock and Aimee Peart-Webb.
3.15pm Sarah’s Street Style Dance.
4pm Misty Jones.
Pop in the Park
5.30pm Wild Honey
6.45pm Soul Weaver
8.15pm Gary Jay as Elvis with The Wonder of Elvis Band.
Picnic in the Park
12.30pm Fenland Youth Swing Band
2.20pm The Rob James Band
3.50pm Presentation of Colouring Competition prices
4.55pm The Rusty Relics.
6.30pm Interval while concert is set up.
Children’s Area (near the bandstand)
1pm-3.30pm Colouring Competition and Face Painting
1pm Adrian Ley - circus skills workshop
1.30pm Peter Optical - Storytelling
7.30pm Alan Norris Big Band