GALLERY: Thousands pour into March for first ever Christmas market ‘to give the day a very special feeling’ says mayor
- Credit: Archant
Thousands packed the streets of March when a Christmas Market came to town heralding a heart of festive community spirit.
People turned out in force for the event which saw a host of stalls, funfair rides and refreshments for all the family.
Councillor Jan French said it had been a complete success and hoped that funds would be set aside to repeat the event next year.
“It was absolutely superb and showed a wonderful community spirit.
“One of the best things was the free rides for the children which bought parents out in force who were gobsmacked that they didn‘t have to pay.”
You may also want to watch:
Small teething problems will be looked at for next year including creating a different venue for the winter wonderland Santa grotto which this year was upstairs at the Town Hall causing some problems for parents getting upstairs in the lift with buggies.
It is also hoped to encourage more Christmas based stalls.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
Cllr French added: “My thanks to Pop Jolley portfolio holder for markets at FDC. Thanks to Mike Chapman and his team and so many helpers. It was our first and I think the community spirit was great, here’s to bigger and better next year.”
March Mayor Andrew Pugh said the event attracted thousands and “gave the day a very special feeling.”
“The success of this first market went to show that the people of March are great supporters of the town. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the organisers and those responsible for making sure this event was the success it turned out to be.
“What a great town we have and thank you to the people of the town for your fantastic support to make it the success it turned out to be.”
Councillor Jolley said it was a fantastic day and a real boost for the town.
“What was also really nice was to see everyone coming together, talking to each other and going about the place with big smiles on their faces. The staff from FDC and the other organisers deserve a lot of credit for all their hard work - they excelled themselves.”