GALLERY: Trees down, residents tell of lucky escape, fence panels blown over - and a street lamp takes a fall- as Ely hit by strong winds
- Credit: Archant
Ely got a battering on Sunday as high winds brought down trees, fence panels, and even a lamp post.
Residents living in the Beech Lane/New Barns area of the city told of their lucky escape when a tree toppled, blocking the road near the Spar shop.
“Amazing how this happens,” said one resident. “We have smaller ones outside that did not collapse-glad no one got hurt.”
Another said: “Thank God it fell the way it did. My sister lives there and it caught the bumper of her car.”
One other resident said: “I heard a bang but didn’t think it was a tree – it’s really sad as I have walked past this tree for years.”
You may also want to watch:
A resident thought the tree was diseased.
“You could smell it,” she said. “Everyone is really lucky it fell when it did, it could have killed someone.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
A community Facebook page – Spotted in Ely- recounted many views from residents.
“I stood there looking at tree that was down and another one came down at end of road too,” he said.
Another wrote: “I’ve had two fence panels down and tiles off the roof. Bloody wind.”
There were also reports of emergency services attending a fallen tree on the back road to Littleport.
And in Stour Green a street lamp down fell down because of the high winds.
The band of torrential rain and strong winds swept across the Anglia region and damage also included a garden fence blown down in Brooke Grove, Ely.
* Did you suffer storm damage? email email@example.com