GALLERY: Two visitors to Whittlesey duck race collapse but happily both are now fine - and the event was a roaring success
- Credit: Archant
Two visitors to the annual duck race in Whittlesey – including the chairman of Fenland Council- collapsed and had to be taken to hospital.
But luckily both men were later released and are now fine, said the mayor, Councillor David Mason.
Organisers said not only was it was the biggest community crowd who enjoyed the race in the Easter sunshine but it also became the most dramatic after the two visitors collapsed and were taken to Peterborough City Hospital.
Councillor Ken Mayor, the chairman of Fenland District Council, was taken to hospital following a seizure before the race began, but was home again in good spirits by the evening.
Another man collapsed and was taken to hospital during the race.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Mason said: “It was quite a dramatic day but thankfully both men were fine.”
He said he was delighted with the record breaking day of fund raising for the annual event which drew a large crowd to watch the race take place.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
“We sold 993 out of 1,000 tickets printed for the race which is the most ever taking part,” he said.
“We are much obliged to everybody who helped on the day including the fire service and to everyone who came and made it such a successful day.”
The three pubs close to the riverside race track did a roaring trade, he added, and more than £900 was raised for the mayor’s charities of the Whittlesey Scouts and Guides, Community Navigators and Friends of Whittlesey Library.
Duck race winners were; first place with a £50 prize to David Belfield, second prize and £25 prize went to thee Cuthbert family while third place with a £10 prize went to Mrs Dale.