GALLERY & VIDEO: A peek into the past with Fenland’s Heritage Open Weekend
- Credit: Archant
A doorway to the past was opened across Fenland when a host of venues took part in the National Heritage Open Weekend.
History came alive when the area embraced the past bringing it alive for modern day visitors.
Getting involved were venues ranging from pubs to churches who joined forces to give a splash of colour to days gone by.
At the Georges in March staff dressed up in costume from the 1800s while at the Acre and the Ship in March there were photographic displays.
Buildings through the years were part of a display in Chatteris and in March Museum there was a chance to learn about toys of the past.
You may also want to watch:
The March railway station held a display taking visitors on a journey back in time to 1847 when the first train would have pulled into the station.
At St Peter’s Church in March there were tower tours and at Amey Cespa there was a historical tour of the recycling journey and how things have changed over the decades.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man found dead in March
At St John’s Church in March the chapel opened to show people the original features of this building that is tucked away in the Station Road cemetery.
At North Brink there was an opportunity to look around a Georgian building while over at the Fenland & West Norfolk Aircraft Preservation Society the museum opened its doors to visitors to show exhibits of aviation archaeology.
At the Friends Meeting House there was a display about the Quakers outlining their peace testimony while at The Orchard Tea Rooms there were guided tours of their traditional English orchard, which is almost a century old, followed by free apple juice tasting.
At the Guyhirn Chapel of Ease the 1660 building was open for tours while at the Angles Theatre the history of the stage in Wisbech was recounted during mini tours of the building.
The Vivien Fire Engine Trust gave tours of the Leyland fire engine, which served Wisbech from 1932 until 1963.
At Wisbech Castle guides showed off its regency villa finery by opening the house and gardens to visitors.