GALLERY: Vision of a new eye clinic for Wisbech
INCREASING demand for eye services in Wisbech has prompted plans for a new purpose-built eye clinic on Cromwell Road.
The new 1,000m squared purpose-built surgery would function as the operational base for Anglia Community Eye Services (ACES) in the area.
The centre would house consulting, diagnosis, minor surgery and treatment services for eye complaints like glaucoma and cataracts.
Neil Johnson, consultant ophthalmic surgeon at ACES said: “Since we started in September 2007 we’ve seen more than 13,000 new patients.
“There is now an increased demand and we need to ensure we can continue to deliver the same high level of service to the people of Wisbech as we have been doing.”
You may also want to watch:
“Although we have very short waiting times we can see that as the number of patients referred to us increases then our waits will start to go up, which we’re very keen not to happen.”
Designed with a “cottage hospital” feel it includes an operating theatre complex, consulting rooms, conference room, car park and a waiting room and administration area.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Mr Johnson said: “We’re going to be moving into a 21st century building where we can continue to do the most modern type of small-incision cataract surgery that requires no stitches.
“It will allow patients to have a new up-to-date, modern ophthalmic clinic which is locally based with a large car park for ease of access.”
The centre would be located on the east side of Cromwell Road (B198) about 400m north of the junction with the A47.
Design plans have been submitted to Fenland District Council and are awaiting consideration by the council.
ACES is an NHS eye service which serves North Cambridgeshire, South Links and West Norfolk in collaboration with two ophthalmic surgeons and two consultant optometrists.