GALLERY: Visitors hail “best ever” Whittlesey Festival
THIS year’s Whittlesey Festival was undoubtedly the best the town has ever seen, said organisers of the 2012 extravaganza.
Councillor Martin Curtis, who represents the town, said “it’s certainly the best I can remember” after thousands turned out for celebrations including a huge array of live entertainments and a community parade with more than 100 participants.
“I thought it was a great event,” Cllr Curtis added. “The atmosphere was fantastic and we were blessed with the weather.”
Fenland District Council markets and events manager Mike Chapman said: “This year’s festival was undoubtedly the best yet.
“We’ve built on the experience of the past four years to create something that really does offer something for everyone.
You may also want to watch:
“The whole day brought Whittlesey alive, with the whole community coming out to celebrate and thousands of visitors in the town, all supporting local businesses, browsing the stalls and enjoying both the sunshine and the huge array of live entertainments.
“The new community parade was a spectacular success, with more than 100 participants, and it was wonderful to have the High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire, Penelope Walkinshaw, there. She stayed for hours, visiting every element of the event, which was fantastic.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Councillor Alan Melton, leader of FDC, visited the festival with his family.
He said: “It was absolutely fantastic - a really great day.
“Everyone was tremendously friendly and it was exceptionally well organised. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I felt very proud of everyone who helped to make it so successful.”