GALLERY: Welcome to Wisbech, acclaimed party Capital of the Fens
THOUSANDS flocked into Wisbech for an eight hour spectacular on Monday which had many reaching for their mobile phones to ‘tweet’ reaction.
One enthusiastic supporter of the Jubilee marathon described the event as “awesome” whilst another said “I have never seen the town buzzing quite like this”.
The reverence of the opening duly completed – a rendition of the National Anthem led by nine year-old Amy Palmer with the mayor, Councillor Vivien MacRae in tow too- from then it was party, party, party time.
Critics may constantly challenge whether Wisbech remains the Capital of the Fens but when it comes to celebrating few, if any, do it as well.
The town council dug deep to provide its citizens with a day to remember that included free entertainment and free fair ground rides.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Sam Hoy, one of those who had helped organise the event, was elated but exhausted by the end.
“Beacon alight and we are singing Rule Britannia,” she tweeted as darkness fell and the music stopped.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'