GALLERY: Wisbech family firm Fenland Haulage & Storage sees off industry giants to win UK Warehousing Association Award
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland family firm has seen off competition from major international companies to win a prestigious warehousing award.
Fenland Haulage & Storage, of Crabmarsh, Wisbech, clinched the best new member prize at the UK Warehousing Association Awards (UKWA) at a glittering ceremony at London’s Dorchester Hotel.
Their success was all the more impressive because they were up against 51 other warehouses, including entries from Eddie Stobart and Promo Logistics.
Owner Shaun McKenna said: “We thought we were travelling to London to make the numbers up and to be nominated was a huge achievement for our family run business.
“To be announced as winners in a room with MP’s, Lords and some of the nation’s biggest companies such as Wincanton and Eddie Stobart was a very proud day for us.”
You may also want to watch:
Warehouse manager Suthun Higgs said: “It was a very surreal day. A lot of the companies there have millions of pounds to throw at their warehouses so for a family company to get the award is really good.”
The award is seen as the pinnacle for companies in the haulage and storage industries, Mr Higgs said.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
He said: “The UK Warehousing Association is for companies who reach certain auditing standards and a lot of companies will not do business with you unless you are part of them.”
The company was founded fifty years ago and expanded into storage 20 years ago at its West Walton base, before adding its Wisbech site 15 years ago.
The UKWA, when announcing the nominations, said: “Fenland Haulage is a growing family company that meets the requirements demanded by national blue chip company auditors while maintaining the personal touch that comes from a family owned business, which is the core of its success.
“Over the past 15 years, Fenland has used links with national companies both to shape its progress and to learn from, resulting in a very well run operation and first class facilities.
“It was one of the most impressive inspections that our UKWA inspector had conducted in a long time.”