GALLERY: Wisbech honours its veterans on Armed Forces Day
LOCAL veterans and serving members from all three services gathered in Wisbech Market Place on Sunday to celebrate Armed Forces Day.
The gathering, supported by the MOD, was a focal point of the Wisbech Armed Forces Day Celebrations in the Market Place during the day.
Local branches of ex service organisations and local cadet groups were on hand to offer recruitment opportunities to interested teenagers.
There were also vehicles on display, including the veteran fire engine “Vivian” as well as a current engine Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Services. Refreshments and drinks will be available throughout.
For visitors hoping to experience the ups, downs and tight turns that RAF Typhoon pilots experience on a daily basis there was a flight simulator.
The cadet forces, led by Wisbech ATC band marched past the assembled veterans in salute to their many collective years of service to our country. The day ended with a sunset and flag lowering ceremony following the parade.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 6 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 9 Missing woman back home
- 10 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday