GALLERY: Wisbech St Mary claim bragging rights against Leverington Sports in historic derby match
- Credit: Archant
Two Fenland rivals met for the first time competitively for more than 25 years on Saturday.
Cambs Premier League side Wisbech St Mary and Peterborough and District League side Leverington Sports faced eachother in the second round of the Cliff Bullen Challenge Cup at Wisbech St Mary Playing Fields.
Wisbech St Mary have been promoted seven times since they reformed 10 years ago.
Although they play in different leagues the two clubs, which are separated by less than four miles, compete at the same level on the FA’s pyramid, meaning they can, and have, been drawn together in cup competitions.
In front of a large crowd, it was Wisbech St Mary who claimed the honours in a hard-fought contest, winning 2-1.
Daniel Emmington and Chris Gunkel got their goals.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 10 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash