GALLERY: Ye Olde Griffin Hotel hoping to stimulate tourism in March with major refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
THE 16th century Ye Olde Griffin Hotel on March High Street is planning a major internal refurbishment which will bring increased tourism to the town.
The Grade II Listed ancient coaching inn is currently a pub restaurant, hotel and nightclub with 10 guest rooms which are occupied throughout the year.
The proposal includes the refurbishment of first and second floor bedrooms and corridors and the conversion of an unused function room into four new bedrooms.
Its owners, Bramwell Pub Co, hope to build on the site’s successful refurbishment several years ago which led to improved trade in the bar and restaurant and an increased interest in the hotel accommodation.
Planning agent Mark Allison said: “The Old Griffin is a pub with character, albeit in a poor condition, needing investment to bring the premises to a sound standard.
You may also want to watch:
“The phase of proposed development builds on the success of the previous investment by the applicant, adding further bedroom accommodation to satisfy proved demand.
“The proposal is suitable in terms of building layout and design and one that can be achieved while enhancing the range of bedroom accommodation within the town centre.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Jail for pair who threatened group with sword
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
“It will bring vitality to the building and will also provide the opportunity for increased tourism in the area.”
Lee and Marina Oldale, Managers of the Ye Olde Griffin and their team were awarded the prestigious accolade of Outstanding Achievement Award at pub operator Barracuda Group’s annual award ceremony in January 2011.