GALLERY: Ye Olde Griffin Hotel hoping to stimulate tourism in March with major refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
THE 16th century Ye Olde Griffin Hotel on March High Street is planning a major internal refurbishment which will bring increased tourism to the town.
The Grade II Listed ancient coaching inn is currently a pub restaurant, hotel and nightclub with 10 guest rooms which are occupied throughout the year.
The proposal includes the refurbishment of first and second floor bedrooms and corridors and the conversion of an unused function room into four new bedrooms.
Its owners, Bramwell Pub Co, hope to build on the site’s successful refurbishment several years ago which led to improved trade in the bar and restaurant and an increased interest in the hotel accommodation.
Planning agent Mark Allison said: “The Old Griffin is a pub with character, albeit in a poor condition, needing investment to bring the premises to a sound standard.
“The phase of proposed development builds on the success of the previous investment by the applicant, adding further bedroom accommodation to satisfy proved demand.
“The proposal is suitable in terms of building layout and design and one that can be achieved while enhancing the range of bedroom accommodation within the town centre.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 6 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 7 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 8 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 9 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 10 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
“It will bring vitality to the building and will also provide the opportunity for increased tourism in the area.”
Lee and Marina Oldale, Managers of the Ye Olde Griffin and their team were awarded the prestigious accolade of Outstanding Achievement Award at pub operator Barracuda Group’s annual award ceremony in January 2011.