Gas leak in Chatteris reportedly caused by estate agent putting up ‘for sale’ sign leaves Burnsfield Street closed and Kingsfield Primary School evacuated
- Credit: Archant
Kingsfield Primary School in Chatteris was evacuated and nearby Burnsfield Street closed this afternoon due to a gas leak.
The leak was reportedly caused by an estate agent who knocked a pipe whilst putting up a ‘for sale’ sign.
Firefighters were called to the scene at 2.38pm and police officers are still on site, having closed off the road.
National Grid are also present.
A police spokesman said: “We were called at 2.53pm this afternoon (27) by the fire service with reports of a gas leak at a home in Burnsfield Street, Chatteris.
You may also want to watch:
“We believe an estate agent was putting a for sale sign up and hit a gas pipe.
“Fire crews closed the road and pedestrian access at just before 3pm.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Emergency services are still on site and Burnsfield Street remains closed.