Cancer survivor Gayna to run London, Manchester, Liverpool and York marathons in aid of children’s cancer charity
- Credit: SUPPLIED
A Wimblington woman who beat cancer 23 years ago is preparing to take on four marathons to raise money for a children’s cancer charity.
Gayna O’Rourke was diagnosed with the disease in 1996 and says she is taking part in the gruelling challenges as “an act of gratitude” because she is “still here and healthy”.
The 46-year-old is raising funds for Children with Cancer UK as she is a survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma, which is a cancer that mainly affects children and young adults.
Ms O’Rourke said: “Cancer at any age is horrendous, but a diagnosis in the young is doubly devastating- it is isolating and deeply frightening.
“I am committed to raising as much money as I can as an act of gratitude. I am still here and I am still healthy.”
You may also want to watch:
Are you from Cambridgeshire and running this year’s Virgin Money London Marathon? We’d love to feature you in our newspaper, online and in print.
Please email your name, age, where you live and the cause you are running for and why to email@example.com – include ‘London Marathon 2019’ in the subject area.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Council chairman urges people to have Covid-19 vaccine when offered
- 10 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
Please keep submissions between 150-200 words and make sure you attach a photograph. Remember to leave contact details so we can catch up with you after the race. Good luck!