Gertrude, 94, named member of the month at Whittlesey leisure centre and described by staff as a ‘true inspiration’
- Credit: Archant
A sprightly 94-year-old has proved you’re never too old for exercise after being named member of the month at a Fenland District Council leisure centre.
Not even three hip replacements and one knee replacement have held back Gertrude Ciabanu as she attends the New Vision Fitness Manor Leisure Centre in Whittlesey three times a week.
Staff named her as their member of the month for August.
Gertrude has been going to the centre for more than 20 years, starting out just using the swimming pool with a friend.
She began using the gym some 15 years ago when her husband showed an interest, and they attended together for many years.
You may also want to watch:
Now, despite the loss of her husband and the operations to replace her hip and knee, she still attends three times a week at 6.30am.
Gertrude said keeping fit helped her to keep a youthful outlook on life.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 3 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
- 4 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 5 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 8 Free bus travel for 16 to 18 year-olds pledged by Labour candidate for mayor
- 9 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 10 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
And her tip to others was to “keep going as long as you can”.
Bernadette Gipson, duty centre manager, said: “Gertrude is a true inspiration and proves you’re never too old to enjoy fitness.
“She is a very social person, enjoys a chat and is interested in people and life in general. So if you do see her in the gym please say hello.”