Gertrude, 94, named member of the month at Whittlesey leisure centre and described by staff as a ‘true inspiration’
- Credit: Archant
A sprightly 94-year-old has proved you’re never too old for exercise after being named member of the month at a Fenland District Council leisure centre.
Not even three hip replacements and one knee replacement have held back Gertrude Ciabanu as she attends the New Vision Fitness Manor Leisure Centre in Whittlesey three times a week.
Staff named her as their member of the month for August.
Gertrude has been going to the centre for more than 20 years, starting out just using the swimming pool with a friend.
She began using the gym some 15 years ago when her husband showed an interest, and they attended together for many years.
You may also want to watch:
Now, despite the loss of her husband and the operations to replace her hip and knee, she still attends three times a week at 6.30am.
Gertrude said keeping fit helped her to keep a youthful outlook on life.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
And her tip to others was to “keep going as long as you can”.
Bernadette Gipson, duty centre manager, said: “Gertrude is a true inspiration and proves you’re never too old to enjoy fitness.
“She is a very social person, enjoys a chat and is interested in people and life in general. So if you do see her in the gym please say hello.”