FENLAND councillor Jonathan Farmer really needs to get his brain into gear before he opens his mouth in public.
Especially when the subject is the unprecedented number of outlets licensed to sell alcohol in Wisbech.
For him to condemn police for trying to sort out the anti-social mess that is his own council’s licensing committee has helped create in Wisbech was just plain crass.
As for his other silly idea, that Wisbech needs more than the 20 pubs it already has. It’s hardly likely to happen now, is it?
Not when alcohol is so much easier, quicker and cheaper to get from any one of the 27 shops, five supermarkets and two fast food takeaways that his irresponsible fellow councillors have licensed in town.
You may also want to watch:
If the Cumulative Impact Policy (initiated by police, not by the council) prevents the granting of any more liquor licenses in the town centre, then hooray to that.
Better late than never.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital