Girl, 12, arrested on suspicion of arson after Wisbech bedroom fire
- Credit: Archant
A 12 year old girl has been arrested on suspicion of arson after a fire in a Wisbech house last night.
Two crews from Wisbech were called to a fire at an address in Victoria Road at about 10.15pm.
A fire in a bedroom was extinguished by a sprinkler system before fire crews arrived, minimising the damage of what would have been a severe fire.
The fire was out before crews arrived and everyone had safely evacuated. Crews ensured the fire was fully extinguished and left around 11.10pm.
Group Commander Chris Parker said: “This is a great example of how a sprinkler system can reduce the damage caused by a fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Had the building not been fitted with a sprinkler system, the fire would have caused significant damage to this residential building, costing thousands of pounds and causing huge disruption and upset for those living there.
“Not only do sprinklers save lives and prevent fire and smoke damage, they use less than five per cent of the water we would to extinguish a fire, so prevent significant water damage too.”
- 1 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 2 Hickford quits Manor Farm on eve of damning report
- 3 Here's what a community fridge could mean to Fenland town
- 4 Paedophile exposed himself to mum near school
- 5 Group of children prank call police following ‘several hoax calls’
- 6 300 jobs lost: Alan Bartlett & Sons to close Chatteris factory
- 7 Cricketers bid farewell to treasurer after decades of service
- 8 Motorcyclist hospitalised after collision with car
- 9 Whittlesey told to expect new supermarket
- 10 Vet another change of use for former pub!
For more information about sprinkler systems go to: www.cambsfire.gov.uk/firesafety/sprinklers.php