Glenfield gallopers raise hundreds by walking from Wisbech to Long Sutton and back
- Credit: Archant
Stepping out in style a group of 20 people walked from Wisbech to Long Sutton to raise funds for a care centre.
The Glenfields Gallopers raised more than £1,200 in a 20 mile sponsored trek which the organiser said was “fabulous fun but hard work.”
Wendy Lincoln, administrator at Glenfields Care Centre in Moneybank, said: “There were staff, relatives and supporters.
“Our youngest walker was 10 and our eldest 79, who sadly didn’t complete it, but did very well at getting over half way.
“We set off at 9am and were back by 6.30pm with rest breaks in between.”
The walking team were supported with t-shirts from Fenland Promotions, portable toilets from Allpress Farms at Chatteris, goody bags from Active Fenland and fruit snacks from Fountain Fresh.
“The idea began as myself and four colleagues walk the Shine Walk every year in London to raise money for cancer charities.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 6 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 7 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 8 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
“We do a practice walk in September so this year decided to turn it into a sponsored walk to raise funds for Glenfields at the same time.”
The money will go to the centre’s comfort fund for things like activities, outings, Christmas fun and entertainment.