Glenfield gallopers raise hundreds by walking from Wisbech to Long Sutton and back
- Credit: Archant
Stepping out in style a group of 20 people walked from Wisbech to Long Sutton to raise funds for a care centre.
The Glenfields Gallopers raised more than £1,200 in a 20 mile sponsored trek which the organiser said was “fabulous fun but hard work.”
Wendy Lincoln, administrator at Glenfields Care Centre in Moneybank, said: “There were staff, relatives and supporters.
“Our youngest walker was 10 and our eldest 79, who sadly didn’t complete it, but did very well at getting over half way.
“We set off at 9am and were back by 6.30pm with rest breaks in between.”
You may also want to watch:
The walking team were supported with t-shirts from Fenland Promotions, portable toilets from Allpress Farms at Chatteris, goody bags from Active Fenland and fruit snacks from Fountain Fresh.
“The idea began as myself and four colleagues walk the Shine Walk every year in London to raise money for cancer charities.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
“We do a practice walk in September so this year decided to turn it into a sponsored walk to raise funds for Glenfields at the same time.”
The money will go to the centre’s comfort fund for things like activities, outings, Christmas fun and entertainment.