Goals, gaffes and grotesque moustaches: Fenland footballers hold Movember charity match
THERE were goals, gaffes and grotesque moustaches as Fenland footballers helped to raise more than �750 for Movember UK.
Billed as the “most-moustached fixture since Liverpool in the 70s”, the “On Mo Head Son” charity match delivered in style.
Wisbech St Mary’s pitch was waterlogged on Thursday night meaning that the fixture had to be switched to Wisbech Town Hockey Club’s astro-turf surface.
But a wide array of incredible facial hair was on show at Harecroft Road as more than 20 tache-sporting players braved the cold.
The game finished 2-1 to the yellow team with Jack Mockford’s 40-yard wonder-strike failing to rescue a result for the purples.
You may also want to watch:
But the most important statistic of the night was the fund-raising total, which came to more than �750 after Wisbech band The Shae Dons chipped in with �120 that they raised at a gig.
The money will go to Movember UK, which helps raise awareness and fund research into men’s health issues such as prostate cancer and testicular cancer.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
Andy Whyte, who organised the match, said: “The club would like to thank everyone who was kind enough to donate and take part in the game.
“Special thanks must go to The Shae Dons and to referee Jamie Tilley who gave up an evening of his time free of charge.”
• FOOTBALLERS were not the only Fenland sportsmen to ditch their shavers in the name of charity.
March Town Hockey Club men’s II also faced the camera after growing moustaches for Movember.