Golden event for all
MORE than £1,000 has been given to help terminally ill children after a Manea couple asked for donations for Milton Hospice instead of gifts for their golden wedding anniversary. John and Brenda Hammond celebrated their 50 years of marriage with a party f
MORE than £1,000 has been given to help terminally ill children after a Manea couple asked for donations for Milton Hospice instead of gifts for their golden wedding anniversary.
John and Brenda Hammond celebrated their 50 years of marriage with a party for more than 100 family members and friends.
But they requested donations for the hospice, which Brenda, 74, has supported since it opened about 20 years ago.
John, 72, and Brenda also held a raffle, and more than £1,000 has now been raised for the hospice, which is currently suffering a financial crisis and may lose a number of staff.
You may also want to watch:
The couple, who were married in the village church, spent the first 10 years of their married life in Manea, then moved to March for 21 years, before returning to the village 18 years ago to build their own bungalow.
They had original wedding photos on display at their party and one bridesmaid, Pearl Beeken, was among the guests.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
But sadly, John and Brenda had not been able to contact the best man and their other bridesmaid was unable to attend.
The couple have one son Paul, daughter-in-law Elaine and two grandchildren.
John is the eldest of six and Brenda has one brother, who were all at the party.
John and Brenda are both actively involved in the Royal British Legion, both in the village and county and Brenda is currently chairman of Manea Over Sixties Club.
They will enjoy a celebratory Mediterranean cruise at a later date.