Golden March couple to celebrate 50th wedding anniversary by being pampered by the family
GOLDEN couple Haydn and Janet Smith will be pampered by the family this weekend as they celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
The couple became husband and wife in March 1962 after getting wed at St Mary’s Church in Westry.
Mrs Smith said: “We have been through good and bad times together but we have always had one another and that is how our marriage has been.
“We’ve always helped one another and have been there for one another. We have always had a sense of humour and have been able to laugh together and talk.”
After meeting in a March coffee shop, the pair dated while Mr Smith worked as a fireman on the railway and the future Mrs Smith worked in her father’s painting and decorating shop in March.
You may also want to watch:
After they married Mr Smith went to work as a lorry driver for Fenland firms including Wilkinsons and Kents of Welney.
Together they have two children, Christopher and Martin, and moved into a bungalow in Cedar Way when Mrs Smith was 41. It was the first and only time she has moved, having grown up in Nene Parade, March.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Man found dead in March
The couple now have four grandchildren are great grandparents to two-year-old Tyler. They are expecting another great grandchild in May.
Mrs Smith said: “We have got the family coming on Saturday (March 10) and they are going to pamper us. They said ‘we’ll do whatever’.”