Goodbye mohawk! Luke is getting a sensible hair cut in memory of his grandad
- Credit: Archant
A musician in a local punk band is having his mohican shaved off for charity in honour of his grandad who inspired him to learn to play the drums.
Luke “Tweek” Green, 19, is well known in the area for his outstanding hair cut, but has decided to let it go for charity after his 86 year old grandad George Taylor Green died within just three weeks of a pancreatic cancer diagnosis.
Luke’s grandad was a keen jazz drummer and encouraged his grandson to take up the hobby at the age of just six.
He died in May, less than a month after being diagnosed.
“Grandad was my inspiration, he was very proud,” Luke said.
You may also want to watch:
“When he died it was a shock because it all happened so quickly, pancreatic cancer is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer, which is what inspired me to want to fund raise,” he said.
“I played with the Stranglers as their drummer recently in a local gig and my grandad came along, he couldn’t have been more happy.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
“He used to say jokingly get a real hair cut, one like his. That’s just what I’m doing, getting a sensible hair cut and I want to do it in his memory to raise money for cancer.”
The former Cromwell Community College student is the drummer in punk band, Damaged, who has supported punk greats such as GBH, UK Subs and the Vibrators.
Last year he was invited to play as the drummer for The Stranglers, whose keyboard player lives in Somersham, near Chatteris, in a gig at the Centurion pub.
• To sponsor Luke’s mohican shave visit his fund raising site at Just Giving.