Greater Anglia says no trains before 9am Monday at the earliest because of weather
- Credit: Archant
Greater Anglia announced tonight it would not be running any trains until 9am at the earliest on Monday.
The company also said that, weather permitting, a reduced service will operate from then but this could be subject to delays.
“In collaboration with Network Rail, Greater Anglia has made the decision to suspend all services on all routes until 09:00. Customers are advised not to attempt to travel before this time,” said a company spokesman.
“Weather permitting, a reduced service will operate from 09:00 however, with speed restrictions in place, customers are likely to experience disruption to journeys throughout the day.
“These plans are based on advise that high winds of up to 75mph are forecast across our region early on Monday morning. This presents a significant risk of falling trees/branches, damage to railway equipment and will severely limit our ability to safely and quickly respond to any incidents which may occur.”
The spokesman added: “We will be working with Network Rail throughout the night to ensure that the railway is open as soon as possible on Monday morning and that additional staff are deployed across the route. As soon as we are able we will run checks across all routes in order to ensure that services can run safely before we run any passenger services.
“We will update our website (greateranglia.co.uk) and our Twitter feed (@greateranglia) throughout the morning with the latest advice and customers are strongly advised to check the latest travel information before setting out.”
- 1 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 2 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 3 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 4 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 5 Depleted villagers battle on in courageous defeat
- 6 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 7 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 8 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 9 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 10 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
Customers with Greater Anglia tickets dated for travel on Monday 28th October can travel on Sunday 27th and Tuesday 29th October. Customers with Advanced Purchase tickets dated for Sunday 27th are advised that restrictions on the time of travel are suspended.
Other operators across South East England are likely to be affected and details of their services are available here: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/60152.aspx