Green fingered success at Chatteris allotment open day
- Credit: Archant
The green fingered goodies of allotment holders were celebrated with an open day held at Chatteris.
Allotment holders displayed the wide variety of vegetables, soft fruit and flowers they grow on their Honeysome Road plots at the first summer open day.
Organisers said the allotments were always a hive of activity and competition was often fierce among some who wanted to grow the biggest and best vegetables.
Others just liked to escape to the peace of the Fens, cultivating their crops and then taking home deliciously fresh produce.
Members of the Allotments’ Association were on hand to answer questions and to show off their plots. An added attraction was a scarecrow competition and refreshments.
You may also want to watch:
Chatteris Town Council rents out more than 130 allotments.
The cost is currently £27 a year. Anyone considering taking one on and wishing to know about the work involved or simply wishing to know what can be grown please forward your name, address and telephone number to the clerk, Joanna Melton by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 01354 695166.
- 1 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry