Green fingered young people encouraged to cultivate their careers in the Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Unemployed young people in Wisbech who want to pursue a career in horticulture are being encouraged to join The Prince’s Trust, Get into Horticulture programme.
The programme, funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and run in partnership with Delamore Young Plants and Manea School of Gardening, will provide the opportunity for 12 unemployed young people interested in a career in horticulture the chance to spend four weeks gaining intensive training and experience in the business.
During the programme the 16-25 year olds will get the chance to gain a horticulture qualification and complete a two week placement with Delamore Young Plants gaining a wider understanding of production, trials, and retail within the horticulture sector.
Following the programme, The Prince’s Trust will help the young people to develop their interview skills and CV to help them move into employment, education, or training, as well as providing support to find jobs and apprenticeships within the industry.
John O’Reilly, regional director for The Prince’s Trust in Central England, said: “The Get into Horticulture programme provides a unique opportunity for Cambridgeshire’s young people to gain experience and pursue a green fingered career.
You may also want to watch:
“The skills learnt over the four week programme provide an unmissable opportunity for unemployed youngsters to improve their teamwork and communication skills as well as boost confidence.”
Adam Parry, Marketing & HR Manager at Delamore Young Plants said: “In an industry that has experienced a real lack of young talent throughout the country this programme will offer young people a real opportunity to showcase their skills.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
“At Delamore we’re always eager to recruit, coach, and develop talented individuals. This programme will enable us to further engage with young horticulturalist wanting to grow their own successful future careers and could develop into our company on apprenticeship programmes and in permanent employment.”
There will be a taster session held on April 2 for those interested to learn more. For more information contact Katrina.Rand@princes-trust.org.uk or call on 01603 306912 or 07946 559 335.