Groome-d for Olympic role: Ian chosen as a London 2012 torch bearer
WHEN Ian Groome failed to get tickets for London 2012, it looked like the closest he would get to the Olympics was sitting front of the television.
But now the 54-year-old, from March, is set to play a very different role - as an Olympic torch bearer.
Mr Groome is one of more than 7,000 people who have been chosen to carry the Olympic flame on its 8,000-mile journey around the UK.
He will carry the torch on July 4 as it passes through Long Sutton, on its way from Peterborough to Norwich.
Mr Groome said: “It will be the experience of a lifetime. I’m never going to be able to do anything like it again.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s very difficult to express in words what it means. I’m incredibly pleased and proud to be doing it.
“I applied for Olympic tickets and didn’t get any, but this will be my moment in history!”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Mr Groome, who is a partner in Fenland solicitors Bowser, Ollard & Bentley, was selected as a torch bearer after being nominated by his son.
He has been a member of March Lions for more than 20 years, helping to raise thousands of pounds for charity. He is also treasurer at St Mary’s Church, Westry.
Mr Groome said: “I will now have to start training. We have three flights of stairs in the office and the secretaries on the top floor think I should have to deliver them tea and coffee at least three times a day as part of my regime!”