Thieves wreck Indian restaurant in the Fens - smashing plates, breaking furnishings and making off with alcohol and goods
- Credit: Archant
Thieves broke into an Indian restaurant and wrecked the premises before making off with alcohol and food stock.
A trail of devastation greeted the owners and staff of the Gurkha Indian Restaurant in Dartford Road, March, when they arrived today.
“Plates had been smashed, furniture upended and broken; the restaurant was a total mess,” said one of the partners. “It’s simply horrible.”
Police were called shortly after 9am when the owners turned up having closed for business two weeks ago. Their plan is to re-open it temporarily for take-away food only.
Thieves got in through a rear window before beginning a rampage through the restaurant. Bosses believe half the stock has been stolen although they said the mess was so bad it was hard to work out the extent of the loss and damage.
“We are simply bewildered why anyone would do so this,” said the partner. “We are all speechless.”
In its three-year history the restaurant has built a reputation locally for its Asian, Nepalese and Indian cooking.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Couple up for the challenge as new high street shop launched