Guyhirn couple get a middle of the night wake-up call as they spot a thief siphoning fuel from their domestic tank
- Credit: Archant
A wheelchair bound man told of his nerve wracking wake-up call as his wife spotted a thief siphoning fuel from their domestic tank in the middle of the night.
The Guyhirn couple found themselves targeted by a thief at 3.45am when an alarm went off and the woman ran to the window to see him at work.
She banged on the window and the man, described as being 5ft 5in with a slim build and dark hair, ran off.
“We later found he had attempted to steal over 350 litres of heating oil from our tank using professional tools to cut through the hinges of a lock that was attached to the oil tank,” said the housewife.
The stolen heating oil was later recovered by the couple in their garden, where it appears the thief abandoned it after being disturbed. Eight full 25 litre barrels were found, along with six empty barrels.
You may also want to watch:
Her husband said: “It was really nerve-wracking at the time, I’m in a wheelchair, so I had to wake my wife when the alarm went off and get her to go and look through the window at the tank.”
A spokesman for BoilerJuice, a UK on line supplier, said: “The couple had heard rumours of thefts in the area but this is the first time they have fallen victim to the crime. In addition to replacing the broken tank lock, they now plan to install further security measures, including security lighting and CCTV. “
- 1 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 10 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
The spokesman said: “Heating oil is a valuable commodity, with the average 1,000 litre order currently costing around £513.
“If thieves target your tank it can be a huge blow to your finances.”
To find out more about how you can protect your oil tank, visit www.BoilerJuice.com or call 0800 321 3275.