A card from the Queen, a sports afternoon and fun with the family for Gwen’s 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Ten decades of memories were remembered with a special party at a care home in Chatteris.
Gwen Wilson was joined by family and friends for her 100th birthday at The Gables Care Home, Chatteris, where she lives.
Her special day, on September 11, began by opening her birthday card from the Queen and ended with a party, barbecue and games.
Gwen said: “I couldn’t have wished for a better party, I had a lovely day.”
Gwen was born in Hilgay, near Downham Market.
You may also want to watch:
Her family moved to March when Gwen was seven years old and she attended Coldham School.
She was a land army girl and says while it was hard work they had some lovely times too.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
It was during this time that she met her husband Cyril.
The pair had two daughters Shirley and Diana.
The Gables held a sports afternoon and barbecue, when more of Gwen’s family came over to see her.
She said: “It’s a birthday I will never forget.”