A card from the Queen, a sports afternoon and fun with the family for Gwen’s 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
Ten decades of memories were remembered with a special party at a care home in Chatteris.
Gwen Wilson was joined by family and friends for her 100th birthday at The Gables Care Home, Chatteris, where she lives.
Her special day, on September 11, began by opening her birthday card from the Queen and ended with a party, barbecue and games.
Gwen said: “I couldn’t have wished for a better party, I had a lovely day.”
Gwen was born in Hilgay, near Downham Market.
Her family moved to March when Gwen was seven years old and she attended Coldham School.
She was a land army girl and says while it was hard work they had some lovely times too.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 4 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 5 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 6 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 7 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 8 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 9 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 10 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
It was during this time that she met her husband Cyril.
The pair had two daughters Shirley and Diana.
The Gables held a sports afternoon and barbecue, when more of Gwen’s family came over to see her.
She said: “It’s a birthday I will never forget.”