Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- Credit: Helen Black/Hamerton Zoo
Shiva, a white tiger housed at Hamerton Zoo near Huntingdon, has died.
The team at Hamerton said that the 10-year-old tiger, which was usually "full of energy and excitement", had not been her usual self for some time.
A Hamerton Zoo spokesperson said they were "devastated" with the news.
They said: "Last year Shiva was diagnosed with the first stages of kidney failure.
"Medication and close monitoring from her keepers meant she could carry out her normal life.
"Unfortunately, recently she hasn't been her usual happy self.
"An investigation yesterday showed further deterioration of her kidneys so her keepers decided it was kindest not to wake her up.
"A huge thank you to the International Vet Group for their excellent care and Cromwell Vets for their services.
- 1 Student, 14, arrested at Neale-Wade Academy, March
- 2 This is YOUR town’s future says council – tell us what you think?
- 3 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 4 Lloyds Pharmacy front door smashed during Chatteris burglary
- 5 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 6 Police alert fire service to motor home engulfed in flames
- 7 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 8 Entrepreneur ‘lights up’ after securing £16,000 for lamp shade business
- 9 Recap: Air ambulance attends A47 crash near Wisbech
- 10 Man fought off three hammer-wielding burglars
"Always full of energy and excitement Shiva will leave a large hole in our zoo and will be sorely missed by all."
Shiva - a white Bengal tiger - was born in 2012.
She arrived in Hamerton with her brother Mohan in 2014, having been transported from Hodenhagen, near Hanover in Germany.
The zoo, which sits in Cambridgeshire between Huntingdon and Oundle, has housed tigers since 2001.
The Hamerton Zoo spokesperson said: "Shiva's brother Mohan will be closely monitored and given lots of special attention.
"Sleep tight Shiva."