Harrier keep alive prospect of Benwick Road, Whittlesey store after winning approval for 16 minor amendments
- Credit: Archant
Developers have kept alive the prospect of Tesco building a new store in Whittlesey after winning approval for 16 changes to the original proposals first approved nearly five years ago.
Harrier Developments of Manea were given permission just before Christmas for changes to the supermarket they hope still to build on behalf of Tesco on the Benwick Road industrial estate.
Liz Dent of ICIS Consulting, the agents for Harrier, said the alterations were needed to meet “the tenant’s environmental design standards and energy performance efficiency”.
The modifications agreed by Fenland Council include lowering the roof, relocation of the entrance lobby, relocation of the ATM machine, reduction in size of one of the Tesco signs, and a spiral staircase to the service yard.
Rearrangements to the cycle store, an increased height of the front canopy and landscaping changes are among the other alterations agreed.
You may also want to watch:
Planners agreed the changes “do not result in any significant changes to the external details” and have no overall impact on the design of the overall development.
Of the original objections to the store, planners say none of these “would be compromised by the proposed minor amendment”.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Whether the store gets built remains open to speculation: Sainsbury’s re submitted their own plans for a store in Eastrea Road late last year after beating off Harrier’s rival bid for the same area.
Harrier has said it would have preferred to build in Eastrea Road but insist their original permission for Benwick Road still holds and a supermarket there would get built.