Hayley rides General George to glory at the Horse of the Year Show
AMATEUR rider Hayley Shippey has triumphed at the Horse of the Year Show after wowing judges with her eight-year-old thoroughbred General George.
Ms Shippey, from Upwell, rode to victory in the cob final of the South Essex Insurance Brokers’ Search For A Star Championship.
She bought General George, who is thought to have been bred in Ireland, as a young horse when she was looking for a cob to show.
Ms Shippey said: “He is very brave and always gets me out of trouble.
“He is quite a character but a real gent at home, although he likes to get out of his head collar and go for a walk around when we are at shows.”
You may also want to watch:
Judge Clare Oliver said: “The winner gave a lovely ride, steady and mannerly. The standard gets better each year.”
General George also finished ninth in the Open Lightweight Cob category.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 9 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol