He knows his onions
Customers at award-winning Chatteris chippy Petrou Brothers were surprised to find legendary film critic Barry Norman serving their favourite takeaway. Mr Norman hoped they would add a little crunch to their fish and chips by adding his own brand of pickl
Customers at award-winning Chatteris chippy Petrou Brothers were surprised to find legendary film critic Barry Norman serving their favourite takeaway.
Mr Norman hoped they would add a little crunch to their fish and chips by adding his own brand of pickled onions - imaginatively called Barry Norman's Pickled Onions.
The Petrous' Chatteris shop is the first fish and chip shop to stock the recently-launched pickles.
The recipe for the pickled onions is a closely-guarded family secret. "I have never needed to buy pickled onions as I've been faithfully following a recipe handed down to me by my mother, who received it from her own mother, who in turn got given it by her mother," said Mr Norman.
You may also want to watch:
"The outcome of all this knowledge is an onion that's fit for the gods."
As well as serving customers to celebrate Seafood Week, Mr Norman was learning what it takes to become a national champion. Earlier this year the Petrou Brothers were revealed as the UK's best chippy at the National Fish and Chip Shop of the Year competition.
- 1 Rail travel in the Fens is going to be much nicer
- 2 Police accuse Wisbech mayor and pub landlord of 'insulting disregard' to licensing objectives
- 3 Shellens quits after committee votes to gag Hickford debate
- 4 Two cars – including Range Rover – stolen overnight in keyless thefts
- 5 'We can't stand still' - co-chairman on taking Whittlesey to next level
- 6 Nine years jail for paedophile who 'manipulated and exploited' teenage girls
- 7 Motorist escapes serious injury after Sixteen Foot Bank crash
- 8 Man hospitalised with serious injuries after industrial accident
- 9 Jail for sex offender who went abroad and missed his appointments
- 10 Drunk and disorderly man ‘ashamed and embarrassed’ after arrest
- Do you have a family recipe for pickles onions? What is the secret of a good pickle? Contact Maggie Gibson on 01354 652621 or e-mail