He’s celebrating 40 years of dealing with Fen carrots but George believes “the product remains as dynamic as ever”
- Credit: Archant
A carrot producer who has spent four decades with the same firm says he enjoys his work as much now as he did when he started out.
George Rivers, supply chain and site director at Produce World Isleham and Yaxley, celebrates 40 years of service to the company this month.
Mr Rivers joined the Produce World Group in the days of Greens of Soham on July 1, 1974. Since then he has also worked under the company name of Hassy Ltd, Isleham Carrot Growers, Clem Tompsett and now Produce World Group.
Although trained in business law and accountancy, his first job was as a management trainee at the Co-op in Newmarket. He went on to join Greens of Soham as assistant transport manager. From there he progressed up through the distribution and supply chain ranks of the business.
He has seen the site at Isleham under the management of three major fresh produce families.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rivers said: “During my time at Produce World I have really seen some developments, both in terms of technology and business.
“I have been able to work in all areas of the company from commercial to logistics, distribution, management and technology, which have helped me to work in my position of site director today,” he said.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
“I am enjoying my work today as much as I did at the time I started. Things may have developed and faces changed but the product remains as dynamic as ever.
“What I love most about the fresh produce sector are the people. Everyone has such a great attitude and passion for their work. I love it.”