He was jailed for 14 years - his wife got 13 years - for sexual assault on a child they were babysitting
- Credit: Archant
A husband and wife from Peterborough who sexually assaulted a toddler have been jailed.
Michael, 52, and Lara Chase, 46, of Bathurst, were sentenced to 14 and 13 years respectively at Peterborough Crown Court today (Friday, March 11).
The court heard how between October 2012 and December 2014, the couple sexually assaulted and took images of a girl they were babysitting. The girl was 13 months old when the abuse began.
Michael pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to two counts of sexual assault of a child under 13, four counts of taking indecent photographs of a child, three counts of possession of indecent photographs of a child, possession of a prohibited image of a child, possession of an extreme pornographic image and making 4,524 indecent photographs of children.
Lara pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual assault of a child under 13 and one count of distributing indecent photographs of a child but was found guilty following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court on March 7.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Constable Lloyd Metselaar from Cambridgeshire Constabulary said: “I am pleased that the family of the young victim in this case have received justice for what can only be described as ‘every parent’s worst nightmare.’ The appalling acts committed together by both Michael and Lara on such a young child who had been entrusted into their care, demonstrate the most serious breach of trust.
“This case shows the determination and dedication of Cambridgeshire’s specially trained officers to bring to justice anyone involved in targeting the most vulnerable in society.”
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 7 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages