Schools told to show caution after lockdown from July 19
- Credit: LDRS/Archant
Health and education chiefs have urged schools across Cambridgeshire to remain cautious once coronavirus restrictions ease next week.
Guidance for schools will change at the same time as the country relaxes restrictions on Monday, July 19, including the need to wear face masks and abide by social distancing measures.
But Jyoti Atri, Cambridgeshire’s director of public health, and Jonathan Lewis, the county’s director of education, want schools to take a cautious approach from so-called Freedom Day.
In a joint statement, they said: “We have a proud record of minimising the spread of Covid-19 in schools during the last 16 months.
“Under the guidance released recently, the government have stated that face coverings will not be mandatory in schools.
“However, if there is an outbreak in a school, the director of public health can advise schools that face coverings should temporarily be worn in communal areas or classrooms.”
Ms Atri and Mr Lewis said they will monitor the “community infection rate” into autumn and intend to brief headteachers about current Covid-19 provision in September.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 6 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
- 7 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 10 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
All staff, secondary school and college students are also advised to test and report results online over the summer holidays.
Autumn asymptomatic testing will resume in secondary schools and colleges and will continue until the end of September before a review takes place.