Health care worker who abused position of trust by sleeping with 15-year-old patient of Ida Darwin Hospital, Fulbourn, jailed
- Credit: Archant
A health care assistant who abused his position of trust to begin a relationship with one of his patients has been jailed.
Stephen Ray, 26, of Ramsey Road, St Ives was working at Ida Darwin Hospital in Fulbourn in March last year when he was found asleep in bed with a 15-year-old female patient at her home.
The incident was reported to staff at the hospital and Ray was arrested on March 31, 2015.
An investigation revealed the pair had exchanged numerous messages on Facebook before Ray visited the girl’s home and stayed the night in her room.
Ray was charged with sexual activity with a girl aged 13 to 15 on January 8. He pleaded guilty at Cambridge Crown Court on March 22.
You may also want to watch:
He was sentenced today and received 40 months imprisonment. Ray has also been put on the Sex Offenders Register and a Sexual Harm Prevention Order prevents him having contact with people under the age of 16.
Detective Constable Helen Tebbit said: “This case has had a significant impact on the victim and her family. Ray knew the victim was extremely vulnerable yet chose to drive to her home and sexually assault her.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 5 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 6 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 7 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 8 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
- 9 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road
“Ray was a trusted member of staff working with the most vulnerable of young people. His actions are at odds with the great work that the staff at the Darwin Hospital do on a daily basis.”