Heart of the challenge
STEPHANIE Waldron has been learning to ride a bike for four only months, but has accepted the challenge to complete a 320km ride in Cuba for charity. Mrs Waldron, 50, of Skiefs Row, Benwick, will join 40 other riders for the six-day Big Heart Bike Ride fr
STEPHANIE Waldron has been learning to ride a bike for four only months, but has accepted the challenge to complete a 320km ride in Cuba for charity.
Mrs Waldron, 50, of Skiefs Row, Benwick, will join 40 other riders for the six-day Big Heart Bike Ride from April 14 to April 23.
It was only when she took up her new job as a cardiac rehabilitation co-ordinator at Doddington Hospital in August that she decided to learn to ride.
"It was my intention to cycle to work," said Mrs Waldron. "In the meantime something came through the door about doing a bike ride. I thought that would make me learn."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Waldron bought her first bike in September and, for practice, recently cycled from her Benwick home to Huntingdon and back - a total of about 35 miles.
She said: "I try to go out when the weather is nice and I did 10 miles on Sunday because the sun was out."
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Mrs Waldron plans to raise money for the British Heart Foundation, CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young), Echo UK (the Tiny Tickers Charity), Heart UK and Wessex Heartbeat.
"Due to my job I see people with heart problems and what they go through. I wanted to do something good and to help and this is a great way," she said.
This is not the first time Mrs Waldron has done her bit for charity. She has taken on many charity runs over the years and hopes to raise £2,700 through her first bike ride.
Her daughter Kayreen, said: "We are very proud of mum. She works Monday to Friday as well as supporting a family, so to do this is amazing."
INFORMATION: To support Mrs Waldron send a cheque payable to the Big Heart Bike Ride, to Stephanie Waldron, c/o Doddington Hospital, Iceni Unit, Benwick Road, Doddington, Cambs PE15 0UG. Or donate on-line at www.actionforcharity.co.uk