Help for Heroes and Addenbrooke’s Hospital benefit from money raised by golfers at Fenland golf club
MORE than �3,000 was raised for charity by kind-hearted golfers at a Fenland golf club last year.
March Golf Club donated �2,560 to Help for Heroes and around �800 to the Addenbrooke’s Hospital and Rosie Hospital Charity. The money will go towards the robot appeal which is raising funds towards a new robotic surgeon for Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
The hospital’s current robot, bought in 2006, helps in the treatment of men diagnosed with prostrate cancer. The robot has trebled the number of prostatectomies (the removal of the prostrate) that can be performed each year.
Chris Hodson, March Golf Club’s 2010 captain, said: “Many of our members have been at one time or another to Addenbrooke’s, be it as a patient or to visit and support a loved one.
“With that in mind supporting this appeal felt right. A few of our players have themselves been diagnosed with prostate cancer – and some have been treated at Addenbrooke’s by the robot – how wonderful to be able to help any one else in need of this life-saving treatment.”
You may also want to watch:
Claire Billing, who received the cheque on behalf of the hospital’s charity trust, said: “It is only with support from businesses, clubs and associations such as March Golf Club, that we are able to provide additional support for Addenbrooke’s and the Rosie – enabling the hospitals to remain at the forefront of patient care.
“The robot has helped to revolutionise the treatment of men with prostate cancer and long may we be able to play a role in helping with that life saving treatment. We can’t thank the club enough.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 5 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 8 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 9 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 10 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met