Help others live after your death. People urged to become organ donors after figures slumped for first time in more than 10 years
- Credit: Archant
Families are being urged to talk about organ donation as national figures drop for the first time in 11 years.
Figures reveal 38 Cambridgeshire residents have died waiting for a transplant in the past five years and 82 people in the county are currently waiting for a transplant.
In the county 48 people’s lives were saved or improved in the last year thanks to deceased donation.
Sally Johnson, NHS Blood and Transplant’s director of organ donation and transplantation, said: “We are truly grateful to the deceased donors who enabled 48 people in Cambridgeshire to receive an organ transplant last year.
“Their donations have saved and improved lives. Sadly, 38 people from Cambridgeshire have died while waiting on the transplant waiting list in the past five years.
You may also want to watch:
“We cannot hope to save more lives unless there is a revolution in attitudes towards organ donation. We need everyone to talk about organ donation with their families and agree to donate if ever they are asked.
“We understand that families are expected to consider donation in their darkest hour. So we would remind everyone - tell those closest to you now if you want to donate your organs and record that decision by joining the 328,544 people from Cambridgeshire who are already on the NHS Organ Donor Register.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
“Should the time come, your family will know you want to donate your organs to help to save others.”
To join the NHS Organ Donor Register visit www.organdonation.nhs.uk or call 0300 123 2323.
Currently, four out of ten families don’t give permission to donate when approached.