Help us apply for cash to build a new skate park in Bath Road Wisbech plea by Councillor Virginia Bucknor
- Credit: Archant
A bid to raise money for a new skate park for Bath Road in Wisbech needs some expert help to make funding bids.
Councillor Virginia Bucknor, who with husband and fellow councillor Mike and others, is trying to raise cash for a new skate park for the area made a plea for help at Thursday’s full council meeting.
Cllr Bucknor said: “We are not asking for funding, we realise there is no money, but we could really do with some professional help in filling in applications for grant funding.
“There is a knack to filling in these applications and so it would be nice to have some help.”
She said the Bath Road skate park had lasted 14 years - four more than it was designed to last - but had to close because it had “given up the ghost”.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Bucknor pointed out that Benwick had recently opened a new £98,000 skate park, which she said was wonderful, but pointed out Benwick has around 200 children whilst the Waterlees area of Wisbech has 1,500.
Councillor Peter Murphy, portfolio holder for the environment, said match funding was needed before any applications could be submitted for grants and he urged those wanting to re-establish a skate park in Bath Road to start fundraising.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
He pointed out they may be able to access some section 106 money, paid by developers to benefit the community, through Wisbech Town Council.
Councillor Garry Tibbs - Wisbech mayor - said: “The Waterlees skate park is already on the town council’s section 106 wish list.”