A fish and chip shop from the Fens is less than a fortnight away from knowing if it will land the title of Britain s best. The Petrou Brothers are setting their sights on the top spot at the London final of the National Fish and Chip Shop of the Year comp
A fish and chip shop from the Fens is less than a fortnight away from knowing if it will land the title of Britain's best.
The Petrou Brothers are setting their sights on the top spot at the London final of the National Fish and Chip Shop of the Year competition, on January 24.
Petros Stauros Petrou, owner of Petrou Brothers, who have shops in Chatteris and Leverington, was named Eastern England's regional champion in October and is competing against the nine other top UK shops.
The competition, in its 19th year, is run by industry body Seafish and sponsored by Heinz SqueezMe!, Frozen at Sea Fillets Association (FASFA) and Seafood Scotland. Celebrity chef Ainsley Harriott will be hosting the final and presenting the awards.
You may also want to watch:
Last year's winner, Nigel Hodgson, owner of Hodgsons Chippy, in Lancaster, said: "We've had a fantastic year and handing over the title to the new champion will be a wrench, but I wish the best of luck to all the regional finalists as they battle for the title of top chippy."
n Mark Petrou who, along with his brother, is hoping for the top chippie accolade.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
Picture: BRIAN PURDY 1977