High Sheriff opens new charity shop for children’s hospice EACH in Churchgate Street, Soham
- Credit: Archant
Customers flocked through the doors at opening of new Soham charity shop
A new East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) shop was declared officially open today in Soham by the High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire, Dr Andrew Harter CBE.
EACH’s fourth retail outlet in the county comprises two former cottages featuring heavily beamed ceilings and walls in addition to flagstone flooring.
The shop in Churchgate Street offers a ladies fashion room, a men’s clothing and media room plus a room for children’s items and bric-a-brac.
Dr Harter, the cofounder of technology company RealVNC and chairman of Cambridge Network, who is hoping to raise many thousands of pounds this year for EACH and Cambridgeshire Community Foundation, was joined in cutting the ribbon this morning by his wife, Lily Bacon. Lily already supports as EACH as a trustee.
You may also want to watch:
Customers then flocked through the doors, spending £830 in the first two hours.
Shop manager Katie Wool said: “We’re delighted to have opened our doors! It was fantastic to have the High Sheriff here cutting the ribbon and I’d like to thank him for giving up his valuable time to do so.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
“EACH is known for having well-presented shops with a range of stock, great staff and volunteers - and there will be no exception here! Please do pop in and see what bargains you can find.”
The new EACH shop is next to Viva Arts and Community Group, whose shop supports arts-based projects across East Cambridgeshire.
EACH opened five shops across the region last year, including one in Cherry Hinton. It had already opened three shops in Norfolk, one in Suffolk and one in Essex in 2018 prior to today. This latest shop in Soham, to trade six days a week from Monday to Saturday, is EACH’s 32nd overall.
EACH says it would be pleased to receive donations of the following clean and good-quality goods to sell: clothing, bric-a-brac, modern paperbacks, toys, jewellery, DVDs/CDs, household linens, retro and vintage clothes and small electrical items.
EACH also needs donations of good-quality furniture and can collect it free of charge if you are unable to transport it yourself. Contact its retail distribution centre on 01842 821620 for more information.
Anyone interested in more information on volunteering at the new shop can drop in for a chat, email email@example.com or call on 01353 722702.