Horsefair manager runner-up at prestigious SCEPTRE awards, recognised as the Oscars of the shopping industry
- Credit: Archant
The manager of a Fenland shopping centre has just missed out on the shopping industry’s equivalent of an Oscar.
Kevin Smith, who runs Wisbech’s Horsefair Shopping Centre, was runner-up in this year’s SCEPTRE Awards – recognised as the Oscars of the shopping centre industry - which were held at The Dorchester Hotel in London.
Mr Smith was one of five people nominated nationally in the Marketing Manager of the Year category.
He received a Certificate of Commendation for his role at the centre, which regularly puts on free activities and is a keen supporter of local charities.
There are 15 categories in the SCEPTRE Awards designed to put the spotlight on management teams, retailers and suppliers that demonstrate excellence.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith said: “I am simply delighted to have received this prestigious award and very proud to think that the Horsefair Shopping Centre is up there amongst the biggest names in retail.
“I thought it was a great achievement to be nominated but I am so thrilled to be named the runner-up.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
“Being a small centre we have limited resources, which can be quite tricky at times.
“It means I have to be very creative to make the most of our marketing budget; it’s great to have that recognised.”
Lucy Mitchell, marketing manager at NewRiver Retail, owners of the Horsefair, said: “I am delighted that Kevin is the runner-up, it is a terrific accolade and he deserves this recognition for all the hard work that he puts into arranging events at the Horsefair.”
This is not Mr Smith’s first award - last year he received the title of Shopping Centre Manager of the Year for a Small Centre from NewRiver Retail and in 2010 he won a Purple Apple Pip award at the British Council of Shopping Centres Purple Apple Marketing Award.