Hot tips to stay warm in winter
- Credit: Archant
People are being urged to keep warm and keep safe as temperatures drop to below two degrees with the news that an average of 182 people die each year in Cambridgeshire linked to cold weather.
The advice is particularly important for older more frail people, those with ongoing illnesses like heart and lung conditions and the very young as the cold can affect their health.
Icy ground is also a hazard that can lead to falls and broken bones.
Cambridgeshire County Council health experts have advised people to set heat to a minimum of 18 ºC (65 ºF) day and night, get financial support
to make your home energy efficient, claim all the benefits you are entitled to on heating bills, eat well and have plenty of fluids, get a flu jab, keep active and look after family and neighbours.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Liz Robin, Director of Public Health for Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “Encouraging vulnerable people to keep warm and safe during the winter is one of our public health priorities, particularly for frail older residents and people with long term illness.”
Cambridgeshire County Councillor Kilian Bourke, Chairman of the Council’s Health Committee, added: “Winter is a dangerous time for the those who are frail and vulnerable and the cold can kill. The County Council is working with other local health services and community organisations to make sure those at risk are helped, supported and receive advice.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
More advice is available on the winter health pages of NHS Choices www.nhs.uk.