Firefighters tackle house fire in March
- Credit: Archant
A severe blaze has ripped through a house in March this morning – but no one has been injured.
Residents in Church Street and surrounding roads were evacuated from their homes to Neale Wade School following the incident around 9.30am.
Plumes of black smoke could be seen coming from the back of St Wendreda’s Church – which was cordoned off by officers from Wimblington Road.
Police say the property is “severely damaged” but all occupants managed to escape before the fire spread.
It is not yet known what caused it.
You may also want to watch:
Inspector Matt Bill, from Cambridgeshire Police, said: “We were called by fire crews to the incident in Church Street this morning.
“Residents were initially evacuated to Neale Wade School as a precaution.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
“Thankfully there are no injuries but the damage is expected to be severe.
“Police currently remain at the scene.”
More to follow.