Devastating March house fire is 'not suspicious', say fire service
PUBLISHED: 10:34 16 April 2019 | UPDATED: 12:55 16 April 2019
A burnt-out shell of a house in March is all that remains after a fire sparked by an electrical source ravaged it.
The blaze that broke out on Sunday morning (April 14) in Church Street is not being treated as suspicious, fire chiefs say.
Charred remains of furnishings, a burnt out car and charred remains of possessions are all that remain at the scene this morning (April 16).
Contractors are now at the site making it secure.
“Due to the danger from the unsafe structure it has not been possible to carry out a full excavation of the debris,” a Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said.
“From the evidence available and information that could be gathered from the scene, the ignition source is believed to be electrical.
“No specific cause could be identified but the fire is not being treated as suspicious.”
More than 40 firefighters were called in to help on Sunday morning and they remained until yesterday afternoon.
Fears that gas cylinders stored in the shed that caught fire might explode, led to neighbours being evacuated to take shelter at March Community Centre.
Fundraising efforts have already been suggested on social media to help support the couple who lived there.
Photographer Peter West watched as firefighters and police arrived at the scene and captured it on camera.